MediaSmarts is a Canadian not-for-profit centre for digital and media literacy. Its vision is that young people have the critical thinking skills to engage with media as active and informed digital citizens. MediaSmarts offers hundreds of digital and media literacy resources for researchers, educators, librarians, parents and on its website mediasmarts.ca.
Director of Research
MediaSmarts is seeking an experienced, highly organized individual with strong research, writing, and communications skills. This essential member of the MediaSmarts team will lead the organization’s research agenda – which includes both MediaSmarts original research and program evaluation and impact assessment.
- Lead ongoing evaluations of all MediaSmarts’ processes and programs, including: planning and implementing evaluations to measure impact of new MediaSmarts’ intervention, education and awareness programs
- Oversee the planning, methodology and implementation of original MediaSmarts’ research studies, including: conducting literature reviews; designing and implementing qualitative and quantitative research studies; analyzing data
- Contribute to the development of proposals/applications for research and program funding
- In collaboration with MediaSmarts staff, oversee the dissemination of key finding from research: writing or co-writing key findings reports (both peer-reviewed and other reports for various stakeholders such as government, teachers, parents etc.); sharing MediaSmarts research methods and key finding through webinars, online communications, panels, conference keynotes. etc.; representing MediaSmarts at regional, national or international events, as required
The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of and interest in education, digital and/or media issues
- Strong background in research design and implementation: experience with grant applications and/or experience working/collaborating on different types of funded research projects; knowledge of and experience in qualitative and quantitative research methods; broad knowledge of research and dissemination; knowledge and experience in program evaluation
- Ph.D. completed or in progress in cognate field; or graduate degree and minimum 5 years full time work as a researcher in cognate organization
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong communication skills
- Highly organized, self-motivated and self-directed
- Bilingualism in English/French is an asset
Hours of Work / Compensation:
37.5 hrs per week
Commensurate with experience
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.