THE AMERICAN ALLIANCE FOR THEATRE AND EDUCATION invites submissions for the 2013 AATE RESEARCH AWARDS:
THE RESEARCH AWARD
THE DISTINGUISHED DISSERTATION AWARD
THE DISTINGUISHED THESIS AWARD
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 30, 2012
AATE’s research awards are offered annually to scholars whose research contributes significantly to the field of drama/theatre with or for young people. We welcome submissions from a wide variety of research traditions that explore any topic related to drama / theatre education or theatre for young audiences.
- Any AATE member may submit their work for review. Non-members may submit if sponsored by a member, but must become members if their work is advanced to the final round of review.
- Theses and dissertations may be entered up to four years from their date of completion (This year, studies completed between November 2008-November 2012 are eligible for submission).
Authors should submit the following materials to the Research Awards Chair by e-mail:
- A cover page indicating the author’s name, affiliation, address, phone number, e-mail address, study title and (for theses/dissertation) the name and contact information of the committee chairperson
- A 1,200-1,500 word abstract of the master’s thesis, doctoral dissertation, or research report, accompanied by a 2-page representative bibliography. The abstract must NOT include any identifying information related to the author or her/his university affiliation.
- For theses and dissertations: a letter from the chairperson of the student’s committee recommending the study for consideration.
Each of the above should be attached as separate files to a single message and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only electronic submissions in MS Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF format will be accepted.
- All submissions must be received by 11:59pm PST on November 30, 2012.
- Authors be notified by January 22, 2013 as to if their submission will be advanced to Round II of the review process. Authors whose work is advanced will be asked to submit an electronic copy of their entire completed thesis / dissertation / research report by 11:59pm PST on January 29, 2013.
- Finalists will be notified of award decisions by May 15, 2013. Award winners and authors receiving honorable mentions will be invited to share and celebrate their research at the annual AATE conference in Washington, DC July 25-28, 2013, and will be invited to submit an article based on their research to the Youth Theatre Journal for potential publication.
Send all electronic submissions and requests for further information to:
Matt Omasta, PhD
AATE Research Awards Chair