IBBY Canada Call for Proposals: Frances E. Russell Grant
The Canadian National Section of the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY Canada) is now accepting proposals for the 2012 Frances E. Russell Grant. The $1,000 grant is intended to support IBBY Canada’s mission “to initiate and encourage research in young people’s literature in all its forms” and is given in support of research for a publishable work (a book or a paper) on Canadian children’s literature.
The deadline for proposals, which may be submitted in English or in French, is October 31, 2012.
The grant supports scholarly work only; works of fiction are not eligible. The types of works that are eligible for the 2012 Frances E. Russell Grant include:
- Studies of individual authors and their work, especially if considered in their socio-historical context.
- Comparative studies of two or more authors, which illuminate their stylistic differences, or consider their social and historical approaches.
- Subject/Genre overviews, for example, children’s fantasy or historical fiction.
- Biographical studies of Canadian children’s authors or illustrators.
- Studies of Canadian children’s illustrators and their work.
- Related subjects including contemporary theoretical approaches to the study of Canadian children’s literature.
The following materials are required: a proposal, a curriculum vitae, a synopsis of methods and stages by which the applicant will pursue the research, and a summary of what the funds are to be used for. The competition is open to Canadian citizens or landed immigrants. Please send proposals as e-mail attachments to: Deirdre Baker, Frances E. Russell Grant Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If candidates prefer not to use e-mail, proposals can be mailed to:
c/o The Canadian Children’s Book Centre
Suite 217, 40 Orchard View Blvd.
Toronto, ON M4R 1B9
Attention: Deirdre Baker, Frances E. Russell Grant Chair
A jury, appointed by IBBY Canada, will select the successful applicant by December 31, 2012.
ABOUT IBBY AND THE FRANCES E. RUSSELL GRANT
The Frances E. Russell Grant was established by the late Marjorie Russell in memory of her sister, a long time supporter of IBBY Canada. Past winners include Vivian Howard, Gail Edwards and Judith Saltman, Michelle Mulder, André Gagnon, Ronald Jobe, Carole Carpenter, Linda Granfield, and Françoise Lepage. For more information about the Frances E. Russell Grant, please visit the IBBY Canada web site at www.ibby-canada.org or write to email@example.com.